Featured Post


Saturday, August 15, 2015

Seat Restoration Part 2

Just a little bit of work today. The boys and I were tearing up the bluegill until around 2pm, so I got a late start. But, I did make some progress on the seat frame restoration. Well, I cut it apart, I should say. Hopefully I won't regret this, but I figured it was the best way to ensure that I could properly repair and then reupholster the seat frames.

I split the seat back from the seat bottom. I intend to cut away the damaged portion of the seat bottom and weld in a repair. For the seat bottom, I'll grind or otherwise remove the portions of the seat back that weren't rusted away or that I couldn't get off.

Do all that, clean it all up and put some POR-15 on it. I bought their inexpensive starter kit from Amazon a while ago and I figure this is a good opportunity to try it out.

The ragged bottom. I used a cut-off wheel on my Dremel. That's all surface rust, by the way, post-vinegar.
The seat bottom. I have to do a bit of research on the center piece with the holes...think it's for the seat clip.
I did get to use my Harbor Freight 7-Piece Body and Fender Set on the seat bottom to flatten it out so I didn't cut myself. It worked pretty well. Of course, the seat bottom is neither a body nor a fender, but there you go. It was exciting all the same. Ah, that Harbor Freight smell!

Having never used a set before, we'll see. Lots cheaper than the pro stuff, that's for sure!
I intend to start on the seat bottom first and get that as cleaned up as I can, removing all of the left over seat back. Then, make a template, somehow, for the seat bottom, cut a piece out of the old boot lid (still have to compare metal thickness), and then tack it on! Piece of cake. Oh, and I have to figure out a way to repair the broken wire since that's where all the weight focuses when you lean back. Maybe not so piece of cake, but I do have some ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment