Not that great of a night at the garage. Had to undo some work already done, and then figured out that I probably might not have had to after all. Oh well. The video:
I started out trying to fabricate the bottom portion of the A post that would fit near the bottom door hinge attachment and finish off the bottom of the depression, the top of which I repaired in my last post.
|Here's where the new piece will go.|
Cutting out the portion of the hole for the door hinge wasn't that tough, though I didn't do a great job, but the depression was a bit difficult. I used the old piece as a template and ended up clamping the metal in the vise, then banging it outwards to create the depression. Meh.
|In vise in attempt to form depression.|
I got that piece tacked in (no pics again, sorry). Before I put it in fully, however, I wanted to check the fit of the new lower A post. I fought with this for a while and never did get it sorted. I speak about it in detail in the video, but suffice it to say that there is are differences in the new piece and the old. I expect this, of course, but it is going to take more trial and error fitting until I'm willing to call it good.
One of the problems that I had, and may still have, is that the flange I made on my newly fabricated upper A post sections dropped down too low, I think. This pushed the whole lower A post down, causing the bottom to line up well below the bottom of the floor. So much so that I didn't have a flat weld area if I wanted to weld the two together. Not good.
So, I made the decision to cut out all of my hard work and focus on getting the lower A post fitted as I don't believe there is an order that matters. Again, I talk about it and show better images in the video.
One thing I did get to, however, was welding down the bonnet plate. I finished up the welding on the repair patch, ground it smooth, primed it all, and welded it in.
|Ready for primer. You can see the bottom section hasn't been removed yet.|
|Welded in. Not as pretty as the factory, but I did plug two plug welds in addition to the edge lap welds.|
That was it. Next visit I will tackle the bottom A post and see how it goes.