Anyway, on to what you came here for. What a wonder a single color makes!
From my last post, the only thing left was to get epoxy on the front bulkhead. I had some significant cleaning to do, however, which was especially painful because of all of the tight spots in between the brackets, under the heater box, etc. I used my normal methods of stripping discs and wire wheels, however, and got the lionshare of it cleaned up.
For the hard to reach spots, once I exhausted all of my mechanical means, I switched to chemical means. Now, I never really wanted to use chemical strippers because I was a bit concerned with how to neutralize it prior to painting and just the general hazmat concerns. Southern Polyurethanes makes a big deal out of surface preparation, and rightly so, and I didn't want to use the wrong thing.
Unfortunately, though I knew this, I didn't give it much thought before putting down a citrus-based stripper.
The stripper worked really well and I was happy with the results. I doubt I could have gotten the area as clean as I did without it. The stripper did leave a light cloudy sheen to where I applied it, so at least I knew what I had to remove. So, pending recommendations from the SPI forum, I used a mixture of baking soda and warm water in an attempt to neutralize the citric acid (the stripping ingredient) and a red scuff pad to clean the area. I did this twice, then rinsed it down with warm clean water twice. I used compressed air to blow-dry the area after each wash down to prevent any surface rusting.
|Close-up of one of the tough spots. Lots of pitting in here, too, but no holes.|
|This wire clip gave up the ghost and I welded in a new one.|
For the more heavily pitted areas, I used the POR-15 metal prep stuff that I've used in the past to treat those areas. I rinsed and blew down the entire area one last time and called it a day.
|About as good as I could get it.|
I didn't want to leave it that way over the holiday, so I was able to sneak over there for a few hours the day after Christmas just to get the paint on. I did several shots of W&G remover, wiped and blew it down, then got on two wet coats of epoxy. Not much else to that.
With that, all of the readily accessible areas, with the exception of underneath the bonnet, have been hit with epoxy primer. Now, the fun of body work will continue!
|All one color!|