The re-work I focused on was revisiting the front deck where I put in a repair patch near the master cylinders. I was never all that happy with my work here as I rushed and distorted the metal due to welding heat. This resulted in a very wavy repair that also had some thin spots from grinding away so much weld bead to smooth it out.
|The "finished" repair, prior to rework. Looks okay, but it's not.|
I didn't want to remove the entire repair because the area around the outer edge wasn't too bad and it would have been a real pain to remove, as well as probably causing some incidental damage. So, I figured out the worst part of the repair, with the most heat damage, and cut it out in a square to make the repair patch easier to fabricate.
|Just that easy.|
With that, I made a template, cleaned up some metal, and cut the repair patch out.
|Template taped to metal in preparation for cutting.|
|Patch held in with magnets, ready to weld.|
I welded it in slowly, with several shots of compressed air throughout to keep it all cool. I'm happy with the repair now, but didn't take a final picture, so you'll have to see it in the video.
I also briefly worked on the dent in the rear sail plate that I dealt with in the previous post. I bit more hammer and dolly work. It needs a bit more, but it's getting better all the time.
|Just a bit of light shining through.|
With that, I put on my Tyvek suit so I wouldn't come home an absolute mess and continued taking sandpaper and red ScotchBrite pads to the interior.
|A spider decided to use the folds in my suit legs as a nest.|
The night went on that way, getting it as cleaned up as possible and ready for paint.
|Under the rear sail plate. Lots of surface rust under here that didn't want to come out.|