Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Triumph Spitfire Body Repair #49 - Passenger's Sill and Sill Transitions

Two videos, but the first one, frankly, isn't all that much...



Like I said, in the first video, there isn't a whole lot of new material as compared to my post on the driver's side installation. The main reason was that it was essentially redundant and I didn't run into any real issues that I didn't have to come through on the other side as well.

A few things were different, that I point out in the video, mainly  of my own doing. First, I had welded the seam at the A post area of the sill.

The seam in question, prior to welding it up a while ago.

Unfortunately, in doing so, I prevented the required flex in this area that was required to get the proper bonnet-to-sill gap.  Fortunately, I didn't go crazy on the welding and was able to cut it apart with a quick swipe of a cutting disk.

Another problem, though one which it doesn't appear that I could have avoided,  was that I had cut away about 1/4" of the back of the sill where it meets the rear wing. This removed the nice rolled edge in this area that helps to keep the seam between the two at the same height relative to each other. I didn't notice this until I had done a significant amount of welding putting the sill in, so I'll have to figure that out eventually. A piece of metal in between to provide a spacer is an option, but that's just another place for water to collect, so I don't know yet. Future me.

The seam in question. Looks good from about 5 feet!

Otherwise, like I said, it went in smoothly and much quicker, as you would expect with the added experience and some pre-fitting that I did the first time around.

With that done, and in keeping with my grand plan (which doesn't exist, but it sounds good!), I needed to pull the tub back off  the chassis to get the underside cleaned up, pin-holes filled, and  everything seam sealed and painted. I haven't fully decided on what I'm going to use underneath, but I've been very happy with the POR-15 stuff, so either that, or their bed-liner product. Jury is still out.
Being an old pro at it, I snatched the tub off, got the chassis to the back of the garage, and brought the body back up for work.


Still makes me nervous to see this!

Front strap.

Rear straps at seat belt hold down points.

With the body off, I moved on to making templates for wooden "bucks". This may not be the most appropriate use of this term, but I consider it a "poor man's rotisserie" solution. I have the materials that I need (at least I hope so) and that will be the focus on my next visit, so more to follow. If you want to see what I'm talking about, ChefTush has his in action on a lot of his recent videos. Here's a good example (and the rest of his videos are great, too)!

Rear template that will attach to B post.

Front template looking forward.

After that, I moved on to putting in the A-post to sill transitions. This wasn't that difficult, but it did require some metal persuasion, as you would expect. Again, nothing too bad and I didn't need to make any  real modifications. The transition for the driver's side that I pulled off the black car fit much better than Dorothy's original (I had to repair both the A post and transition piece), so I went with that one (and it was in better  shape), but I used Dorothy's on the passenger's side.

Driver's side transition (black car's original).

Passenger's side transition.

Essentially that was about it for the day. I apologize if my write-ups seem to be getting away from the instructional side a bit. However, I've gotten better at the videos (I like to think so, anyway) and those are really better than my write-ups for more of the instructional side of things.  I do intend to provide a more detailed write up of the wooden buck fabrication however, assuming it actually works, so stay tuned for that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment