Featured Post


Friday, August 25, 2017

Triumph Spitfire Body Repair #15 - Front Lower Wing / Odds & Ends

Here's another update for you.

As I contemplated what to do about the door, I continued with where I left off on repairs to the bottom front of the rear wing, finishing up the new piece. It fit much better this time.

Inside tack welds.

And outside tack welds.

I finished the tack welds up, making essentially a  long bead and ground it relatively smooth. Then, I clamped it up and welded it in.

Clamped and ready to weld in.

All done getting that part in.

With that part welded in, it was time to apply some seam sealer. I picked up a tube of Dynatron Seam Sealer from Amazon for about $20. It comes out just like caulk for a bathroom so it applies easily and is spreadable. I wore a nitrile glove while doing this, of course, because it's pretty nasty to get on your skin. It says it's sand-able, but I haven't tried that yet.

Wow, horrible pic. You get the idea.

The end result. I hit a few other spots as well.

With the inside portion done, I welded the fender lip piece on. Same idea here where I'll tack it until I get a solid bead, then grind it down smooth.

Not completely finished, but good for now.

With that done, it was time to fabricate the piece for the entire lower wing. Fortunately, I saved the outer sill from the black car that I cut off forever ago. Turns out is has nearly the same curve that the bottom of the wing has so with just some minor adjustment, I was able to re-purpose another part of the black car.

Initial fit up.

It bowed out on me a bit but was easily remedied.

While getting down there and fitting the patch I noted some more rust-through pinholes, so I cut them out and made a quick and dirty patch for that.

Small part cut out.

The back of the offending part. Always much worse from the other side.

New and old.

Welded in. Obviously some clean up required.

And that was about it for the day, it being a "school night" and all. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment